Even obsessive dental care and flossing can’t provide you the level of protection against decay and oral health concerns that a regular visit to your dentist can provide. Plaque and tartar can accumulate in places that your brush can’t reach, and mouthwash can’t eliminate everything from these hard to reach places. As the bacteria and tartar build up, your risk of developing gum disease increases. Visiting 8 West Dental Care for dental prophylaxis care is the only way to ensure healthy gums and teeth.
Dental prophylaxis, a term that means ‘preventative’, is the standard professional cleaning you receive during your regular visits to the dentist. As part of this process tartar and plaque are removed from your teeth and below the gum line to protect you from gum diseases like gingivitis. Left uncontrolled these enemies of oral health can cause your gums to become irritated and inflamed. As a chronic condition, this has the potential to destroy your bone and gum tissue, causing the teeth to become loose, or worse fall out. The bacteria in these deep-set infections can also get into your bloodstream.
Cleaning and Prophylaxis At A Glance
- Deep cleaning that goes beyond what’s possible at home
- Can prevent damage from advanced gum diseases like periodontitis
- An essential part of your regular professional dental care
Cleaning and Prophylaxis Services At Our Clinic
When you visit our clinic for dental prophylaxis, the form of treatment you receive is going to be determined by the severity of any existing cases of gum disease. In general, this treatment is administered as part of your regular dental visits. In severe cases, you may have a special visit scheduled requiring local anesthesia. While the depth of the procedure may vary, the following steps are generally included.
- Supragingival Cleaning – All areas above the gum line will be cleaned with scaling tools to eliminate any calculus (tartar) or plaque that’s present.
- Subgingival Cleaning – If periodontal disease is a condition you’re living with, this step of the process will address it by eliminating tartar and plaque from beneath the gum line.
- Root Planing – Once all existing plaque and tartar have been removed from your teeth, the roots will be planed. During this process, the surface of the root is smoothed to eliminate places for plaque and tartar to grow easily.
- Medication – Following the completion of the above steps an antimicrobial cream or antibiotic cream will be inserted into the gum pockets. These will aid your gums in healing quickly and well while reducing the discomfort you may feel.
- X-Ray and Examination – During your appointment an x-ray will be done to examine how much gum recession and bone damage has been done, and what next steps may be necessary in your care.
Your smile is precious and needs regular dental care to remain bright and beautiful. Without regular visits to your dentist and regular professional cleaning gum disease can cause irreparable damage. Be in control of your oral health today by calling our offices in Calgary, AB and scheduling an appointment with Dr. Henry Lam. We’ll take steps to repair any existing damage and help you keep your smile looking great for a lifetime.